In my quest to identify plausible and interesting sounding hobbies to put on my resume (interview season is coming up soon), I've re-stumbled upon knitting. In freshman year in college, my friends would sit in the lounge knitting while watching tv and all I could do was latch hook . . . in my defense I managed to make a pretty cute Mei Mei rug which looked exactly like this one I found on some dude's flickr. In sophomore year I figured I should learn for real, and got my friend to teach me. Sporadically over the following year I made scarves for each of my family members, which to the best of my knowledge they never used. The whole thing got kind of pointless, so I stopped.

One day this summer in Barnes and Noble I came across a table full of arts and crafts books. Some were on really cool crafts such as book making or stuffed animal making, but I wouldn't even know where to get the materials for those, so I decided to just pick up knitting again. This time I was going to make something for myself, and settled on hobo gloves (all the better for taking notes in class in the winter!) I taught myself how to knit in the round, found this pattern online, and made my first trial mitten. Needless to say there are dropped stitches all over the place and the proportions are kind of funny. I won't be embroidering it but here's the idea:




Maybe I won't be dying my own yarn any time soon, but being able to knit more than just unembellished scarves would give me more to talk about in the interviews should it come up =P I've also been learning how to knit different patterns. It's amazing how much you can do with just a couple of different stitches. Also, I've been searching for knitting blogs, and I've noticed that most of these bloggers not only knit but also bake cupcakes and have at least one cat. I have tried to cultivate both of those hobbies (I make a decent apple pie) plus I like Mei Mei so maybe one day I can be a bona fide blogger too!

1 comment:

  1. Hunter Wry said...
    Hobo gloves!!! I approve.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home