... Cont'd

Continuing with the theme of the previous post: Whenever I listen to music I would be reminded of what my life was like when I first listened to those particular songs. So the Shins and Belle and Sebastian always bring back good memories of junior year, Bloc Party and Arctic Monkeys senior year. It gives me a bit of a warm and fuzzy feeling but it doesn't make me like the music much more than I would otherwise. Unfortunately, the converse isn't true. Some decent songs have been completely ruined for me because when I started listening to them was when I was studying for my 1L exams in January. Even my all time favorite song (as of now), I Am Warm and Powerful by Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin is somewhat tarnished because I discovered it during my 1L fall.

Off on a tangent: Everyone says 1L would be the most miserable year of your life, so I was prepared for the work load, the work was not fun but I could manage. What I wasn't prepared for was the people, and I'm not even talking about the competition between students. Suffice it to say that I learned a lot about the different kinds of people in the world, and am no longer so naive as to think that if you're nice to someone then they'll be nice to you (or rather because you're decent to someone that they won't be malicious towards you for their own unfathomable reasons). It was a necessary lesson to learn, but one that I regret having to learn. I would not have minded being naive and trusting of people because those that I've come across hadn't given me any reason to do otherwise.

Back to the original topic: It's not really that these are bad songs but that I don't like what it makes me think of. It's classical conditioning. I don't yet have the cognitive autonomy to break free from the hard wiring!

A couple of songs from the past year of my life.



P.S. Congratulations to all my friends who made law review! Your job search just got 10x easier since now you have 10x the prestige as us common folk =P

1 comment:

  1. Hunter Wry said...
    I feel the exact same way.

    That Mae song reminds me of junior year.

    And for reasons left unsaid, I can no longer listen to Ciara.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home